Science and Tech Trek Activity 6:
Activity Objective: Girls explore how
technology affects their daily lives.
Toward Leadership Outcomes:
Through this activity, girls will:
- Seek challenges—Girls develop positive attitudes toward learning, seek
opportunities for expanding their knowledge and skills, set challenging
goals for themselves, and take appropriate risks. (Discover)
- Become resourceful problem solvers—Girls can use their knowledge and
skills to set up and implement creative and effective "action plans,"
locate tools and resources they need, and know when, where, and
how to enlist help from others. (Take Action)
- 2 min. Introduction (Talking Points)
- 45 min. Design Gone Wild
- 5-10 min. Reflection/Discussion
- Pens or pencils (enough for each girl)
- Colored pencils or markers (optional)
- Read over the entire activity before meeting with girls.
» Introduction (Talking Points) (2 minutes)
- Say something like: "We have thought a lot about design, engineering,
and innovation in our group meetings. We have considered how things
have changed, how things have become better, and what types of
things and designs we would like to improve on. Since we know that
design and technology are always changing, today we will think
about what things might look like in the future. And we will use
our imaginations in the process."
» Design Gone Wild (45 minutes)
- Separate the girls into pairs or small groups.
- Distribute paper and pens or pencils.
- Ask each pair or group to think of three objects that people use, such
as cell phones, automobiles, kitchen appliances, or computers,
and to imagine what those objects would be or look like in 10 years and
in 50 years. Encourage girls to draw pictures of the objects, with lots
of details. Tell girls they will have about 20 minutes for this activity.
- Each pair or small group presents one idea (or if time allows, all
three ideas) to the rest of the group.
» Reflection/Discussion (5-10 minutes)
- "Does life always get better when technology advances?"
- "What are the positive effects of the advancement of technology?"
- "What are the negative effects?"