Financial Flair Activity 5:
Activity Objective: Girls connect their
personal skills with career choices.
Toward Leadership Outcomes:
Through this activity, girls will:
- Develop a strong sense of self—Girls have confidence in themselves
and their abilities, feel they are able to achieve their goals, and form
positive gender, social, and cultural identities. (Discover)
- 2 min. Introduction (Talking Points)
- 40 min. What's Your Dream Job?
- 10-15 min. Reflection/Discussion
- Pens or pencils (enough for each girl)
- Large pad/piece of paper (or chalkboard)
- Read over the entire activity before meeting with girls.
» Introduction (Talking Points) (2 minutes)
- Say something like: "In our last session, we thought about what
it means to be an entrepreneur, or to start your own business.
Today, you will have an opportunity to fantasize about your own personal
dream job. And in the process, you may learn a little bit about other
parts of yourself, too."
» What's Your Dream Job? (40 minutes)
- Distribute pens or pencils.
- Say something like this: "Take a minute to think about what you would
really like to do every day to earn a living—you know, once you
are no longer in school. Make a list of all the things that come
- Ask girls to add to their lists at least five things they like to
do for fun and at least three things they are really
- Say something like: "You might be surprised that people are willing
to pay for some of the things on your like-to-do or really-good-at
list, and you could consider making a job out of that. Look at
your entire list and put a heart next to one job that you are pretty
certain you would not mind doing all the time. You will now have
a chance to write about your dream job. Why would you want to do
it? What do you imagine it would be like? How do you think you
would feel if you do this job or start your own business? You have
about three minutes for this activity."
- Ask girls to make a list of the qualities, characteristics, or
skills they think someone who has that job would need to be successful.
- Ask girls to circle the qualities or skills on that list that they
already possess. Ask girls to underline the qualities or skills
they would like to develop in their lives.
» Reflection/Discussion (10-15 minutes)
- "Share their dream jobs or business ideas aloud and a one-
or two- sentence description of why you would like to do that."
Be sure to ask each girl what education or skills she would need
to acquire to be successful at that job.
- "Consider asking your parents or guardians how they chose
*** Collect girls' lists and bring them to the next meeting
(Financial Flair Activity 6). Explain to girls that they are going
to do some more brainstorming with the lists they made today.