Updated: Response to the South Asian Tsunami Disaster
January 18, 2005
Girl Scouts of the USA offers its deepest condolences to those impacted by the recent devastation in South Asia and the eastern coast of Africa. This tragedy has touched us all, and we send our thoughts and prayers to those affected.
How You Can Help
Girl Scouts can play a role in helping those affected get back on their feet! We have been in touch with our sister Girl Scouting and Girl Guiding organizations in the region and with the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) in London regarding how best to help. Here are some ways to provide assistance:
- WAGGGS has established a fund to provide assistance to the Girl Scouting and Girl Guiding organizations in the region which were impacted by the tsunami. Information on the fund is available on the WAGGGS Web site www.wagggsworld.org.
- Consider leaving a message of support on the Visitors' Book on the WAGGGS Web site. It's a great way to make your thoughts known. Please note: DO NOT leave girls' addresses posted, as it is a public Web site.
- See if there are ways to provide volunteer assistance to a local group aiding those in need. The Red Cross and other organizations might need help to serve those in need in your community.
- Many local Girl Scout councils are organizing activities within their jurisdictions to address different needs arising from this disaster. Contact your local Girl Scout council directly and see how you can help.
Two Important Points to Remember
- 1. Please remember that the Juliette Low World Friendship Fund, which promotes international Girl Scouting programs of many kinds, is not intended to fund large scale emergency needs such as those related to this crisis.
- 2. Please be aware that donation of goods is simply not possible. In-kind donations are very expensive to ship, tie up airports and ports already struggling to handle the huge aid donations required to keep people alive, and cost the recipients customs duties and charges for storage and distribution. Financial gifts to reputable, established organizations are most effective.
Contact Internationalunit@girlscouts.org with any questions.