- Who We Are
- For Adults
- For Girls
- Girl Scout Shop
Summary of Position
The General Counsel is responsible for the management of all legal issues affecting the Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA) and represents the organization in all legal and administrative forums. The General Counsel provides senior management with effective advice on the legal aspects of organizational strategies and their implementation. She/he provides the vision, leadership and direction for the work of the Legal and National Board Office functions, and manages and works closely with outside counsel.
Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the General Counsel is responsible for establishing, drafting and implementing policies, practices, procedures, and contracts related to all legal matters, including but not limited to the following: intellectual property (e.g., trademarks, copyrights, website/domain issues); litigation management; tax exempt organization status; food and child safety laws; electronic, media and privacy issues; human resources; and employee benefits and compensation. Other ancillary subject areas include: real estate; charitable giving; bankruptcy; antitrust; and corporate governance and compliance.
In addition to the General Counsel’s role in supporting GSUSA’s legal matters, she/he will monitor local Girl Scout Council lawsuits as necessary and advise respective council attorneys on legal matters involving various issues.
• Juris Doctorate degree with admission to the NY State Bar.
• Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience at a law firm and/or in-house.
• Strong and broad-breadth of knowledge of tax exempt organizations.
• Experience with intellectual property law, employment law and litigation management.
• Knowledge of tax issues concerning U.S. tax-exempt organizations.
• Experience working on matters of corporate governance and with a board of directors.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to partner with employees of all levels throughout the organization.
• Exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills with high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
• Demonstrated ability to write business legal reports and correspondence.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively partner with senior management.
• Demonstrated ability to respond to inquiries from regulatory agencies, customers and business community.
• Highest ethical standards and professional integrity.
How to Apply
Scott D. Yaccarino | Partner
Empire Search Partners, LLC
130 East 59th Street, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10022
EOE/Committed to Diversity