- Who We Are
- For Adults
- For Girls
- Girl Scout Shop
Chief Strategy Officer (Corporate Headquarters located in New York, NY)
Summary of Position
Based in the Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA) central offices located in New York City, the Chief Strategy Officer will shape the organizational strategy under the guidance of the CEO, by creating, implementing, communicating, executing, and sustaining the company’s strategic initiatives and ensuring it is aligned with the business growth goals. She/he will develop and execute the overall strategic initiatives by leading the strategic planning process, leveraging market data, and developing foresight, innovation, knowledge sharing and communication. This is a new position reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
Charged with developing and executing the organization’s overall strategic initiatives to grow the Girl Scout Movement, the Chief Strategy Officer will lead through influence and work with counterparts across the organization to create synergy, effectiveness, and provide strategies that are complementary to the organization’s mission and movement while at the same time challenge the status quo.
The scope of work expected of the Chief Strategy Officer, stated in terms of outcomes, accomplishments and essential functions, is as follows:
• Repositioning Girl Scouting in the market through:
- Strategic brand positioning aligned across Movement
• Translating vision to strategy
• Driving innovative thinking
• Providing a full range of marketing and communications tools
• Driving Movement-wide and organizational strategy to multi-year operational planning and deliverables
• Keeping Girl Scouting current and aligned with emerging trends
• Defining priorities for and advancing strategic partnerships to leverage Girl Scouting
The Chief Strategy Officer serves as a senior representative of the organization responsible for achieving acceptance by individuals throughout the organization to carry out its strategy initiatives. The leadership competencies expected of the Chief Strategy Office include:
• Understanding peer work and taking responsibility for incorporating all work into a whole
• Effectively balancing functional and executive perspectives
• Being customer centric – using the customer as the key decision-making lens
• Keen ability to lead and navigate large-scale change
• Demonstrating humility and will in the face of controversial discussions
• Demonstrating optimistic leadership in the face of complex challenges
• Empowering staff and colleagues to lead, including through alignment of responsibility/ accountability with authority
• Promoting collaborative problem-solving and engagement
The Chief Strategy Officer will be expected to develop metrics and reporting tools regarding performance milestones necessary for successful plan implementation. Additional responsibilities of the Chief Strategy Officer include:
• Leveraging data and assets to move strategy and the organization forward
• Providing leadership of the data-information-insight-innovation cycle
• Developing organization-wide strategic and operational planning
• Supporting external positioning of organization through brand, communications, etc.
• Managing and integrating a multi-unit, multi-discipline organization
• Directing budget and providing fiscal management
The ideal candidate for the Chief Strategy Officer will possess a minimum of 15 years of experience managing and directing marketing, communications, and/or public policy in a large, complex organization. She/he will have at least 10 years of experience in a strategic planning function on a national scale. She/he will be a seasoned executive with a strong strategy orientation coupled with a broad strategic marketing leadership background.
Additional qualifications of the selected Chief Strategy Officer will include:
• Experience developing, managing, and directing large scale brand campaigns.
• Minimum 10 years of experience assessing external trends and translating data into short and long-term strategies.
• Experience selecting, directing and managing high caliber, diverse teams representing multiple functions.
• Experience developing and maintaining external partnerships and alliances to advance organizational objectives.
• Excellent speaking skills with experience presenting to large groups.
• Solid track record working with multiple forms of media, including social media.
• Strategic thinker with experience translating vision into operational strategy and outcomes.
• Superior communication, interpersonal, negotiation and persuasive skills.
• Experience anticipating changes in customer needs and implementing strategies that results in improved brand position, increased customer satisfaction and growth in revenue or membership.
• Excellent verbal, interpersonal communications and team-building skills combined with experience working across departmental lines and developing productive and collaborative relationships with various stakeholders.
• Ability to travel up to 30%.
The demonstrated competencies expected of the selected Chief Strategy Officer candidate are:
• Synthesizes information for action/makes data actionable
• Facilitates difficult and complex conversations
• Market analyst
• Data driven
• Forward thinking
• Drives collaborative decision-making
Top 4 things the Executive must accomplish in first 12 months:
1. Identify internal customer network through which to drive strategy integration
2. Develop a strategic and operational plan implementation timeline
3. Be instrumental in growing external relationships and encouraging customer engagement
4. Raise the profile of Girl Scouts among key audiences, including as a thought leader in issues relating to girls and leadership.
A Bachelor’s Degree in business, marketing, or related field is required; a Master’s Degree in business, nonprofit leadership, external affairs or related field is preferred.
How to Apply
Senior Vice President
Qualified candidates can also submit their responses:
1330 Corporate Drive
Hudson, OH 44236
EOE/Committed to Diversity