Cadette Comparison Shopping Badge Activity
Score the Best Deal
Practice comparison shopping online by tracking an item for a week on three different sites.
Time needed: 30–45 minutes
- Pens or pencils
- Ruled or plain paper
- A computer, tablet, or phone with internet access (optional)
Setup: Track an item on three different sites at three different prices to see if they change.
Activity: You can find just about anything you want to buy online. The beauty of shopping online is that you can easily find and compare items from many different sellers without leaving home. This is called comparison shopping. Comparison shopping online has many benefits; it can be quick, easy, and convenient.
Learning how to comparison shop is a great skill to save money! Keep in mind that comparison shopping can be a game of patience, because prices often change over time. This is why it’s helpful to track items closely when looking to buy.
First pick an item to research. Search for it on three different sites at three different prices.
After you’ve found your item, search for any discount or coupon codes you could use to help save on your purchase.
Now track the item for a week to see if the price changes or stays the same. Ask yourself:
- What seems to cause the difference in prices? Is it location? Season? Shipping? Taxes?
- Do discounts or coupons codes make a noticeable difference when shopping online?
- Are there any drawbacks to comparison shopping online?
- Make a note of any comparison shopping tips or trends you discover, and share them with family and friends!
Reflection: Think about these questions:
- What did you learn about comparison shopping?
- Do you think you now have the skills to find the best deals?
- How will what you learned change how you shop in the future?
- How can you share what you’ve learned about comparison shopping with other girls?
Girl Scouts at Home
activities have been adapted from existing Girl Scout programming
and optimized for use at home during a period of social distancing.
Made possible by a generous gift from Toyota Financial Services.