Global Action Day Activity for Daisies, Brownies, and Juniors
Create a Girls’ Bill of Rights
What rights do you have? How do your rights compare to other girls’ rights around the world?
Time needed: 30 minutes
- pencils, crayons, or markers
Setup: All around the world, girls face many issues and challenges every day. A challenge is something that makes your life harder. Some girls are not able to go to school and learn. Some girls do not have enough to eat. What are some other challenges that girls might face?
Activity: What are human rights? Human rights are things that allow people to live with freedom, equality, justice, and peace. The Girls’ Bill of Rights that you will create today is a list of the rights all girls should have, no matter where they live in the world or who they are.
These are some other questions you can think about as you are creating your Girls’ Bill of Rights:
- If you did not have the tools you need at school or even a school to go to, what challenges might you encounter?
- Why is education important, not just for girls, but for everyone in the world?
- Why do you think there is an International Day of the Girl?
- What can we do to support girls’ rights in other countries?
- What can you do as a Girl Scout to help support girls’ human rights?
Can these questions help you get started on writing your bill of rights? For example, you might say, “Girls have the right to go to school.”
Write down at least five things that you think girls have the right to do. If you need help writing, ask your parent or another adult for help. Then, share your bill of rights with a parent or with a friend!
Reflection: After you have finished writing your Girls’ Bill of Rights, ask yourself these questions:
- Do you have all the rights that you wrote about?
- What would need to happen to make your bill of rights a reality for the 1.1 billion girls around the world?
- What are some things you can do to help your bill of rights come true?
Girl Scouts at Home activities have been adapted from existing Girl Scout programming and optimized for use during virtual troop meetings or for Girl Scouts at home.