Senior My Portfolio Badge Activity
Land the job!
Prepare a résumé that spotlights your leadership experience from running your own Girl Scout Cookie business.
Time needed: 30–45 minutes
- A pencil or pen
- A computer, tablet, or phone with internet access
Employers list responsibilities, skills, and requirements in job descriptions. Then, when they interview candidates, employers assess potential employees’ experiences and determine if they’re the right fit for the job.
Make a list of jobs that you’ve always been curious about. Then go online and search for job postings. If you get stuck coming up with job ideas, search for jobs related to your hobbies, talents, and interests, or ask a friend or family member to help you brainstorm.
Read at least five job postings and make a list of skills you acquired when you ran your own Girl Scout Cookie business. Many employers look for people who are organized, self-starting, and good at communicating.
Then research sample résumés online to notice how experiences and skills are outlined. Now you’re ready to draft your own résumé and highlight the skills you learned from the Girl Scout Cookie Program!
You may want to find out:
- What types of jobs do you think you would qualify for, given your Girl Scout Cookie business experience?
- What other personal strengths should you highlight on your résumé?
- What will make your résumé stand out from other applicants?
Think about these questions:
- What did you learn about writing a strong résumé that you didn’t know before?
- How can you improve your résumé?
- How can you share what you’ve learned about creating a résumé to help other girls?