Brownie Bugs Badge Activity
Make A Bug Box
Build a box to observe bugs, learn how they move, and interact with nature before releasing them back into their environment.
Time needed: 30 minutes
- A cardboard shoe box with lid
- Tape or glue
- Plastic wrap
- A ruler
- A pencil
- A tool to make small holes, such as a thumbtack (may need adult assistance)
- Natural materials, like sticks, grass, a flower, etc.
Setup: Bugs help us in lots of cool ways. Explore their world and learn more about these little creatures that do so much. You can take a closer look at bugs in action by making a bug box. Try using it to watch grasshoppers, centipedes, lightning bugs/fireflies, crickets, or moths. Check with an adult first to make sure your bugs don’t bite!
Follow the steps below:
1. Remove the lid from your cardboard shoe box.
2. Use the ruler to measure and the pencil to sketch a 3” x 6” rectangle from one of the long sides of the box, then use your scissors to cut it out.
3. Prepare a piece of plastic wrap that is large enough to cover the cutout side. With the cutout side facing you, tape or glue the plastic wrap to create a window. Make sure the window is tight enough thatbugs cannot escape.
4. Poke three small breathing holes (smaller than your bugs, so they win't get out) into each side of the box. You may need to ask an adult to help you make the holes with a thumbtack or other tool.
5. Poke three small breathing holes (smaller than your bugs, so they won’t get out) into each side of the box. You may need to ask an adult to help you make the holes with a thumbtack or other tool.
6. Add bugs! Be gentle so they don’t get hurt. Recover the box. After you've had an hour to watch, carefully place the bugs back where you found them.
Troop Leaders: The instructions for all badge steps are available free of charge in your Girl Scout Volunteer Toolkit.
Girl Scouts at Home activities have been adapted from existing Girl Scout programming and optimized for use at home during a period of social distancing.
Adapted from Step 3 of the Brownie Bugs badge. Purchase The Brownie Girl’s Guide to Girl Scouting to complete all requirements and earn the badge.