#GSoutdoorsSweepstakes Photo Challenge FAQs
1. What is the purpose of this challenge?
The challenge aims to inspire more girls to explore the great outdoors and appreciate wildlife in unique, exciting ways, as well as sign up for camp and learn more about Destinations.
2. Is there an entry period?
Yes, the entry period is February 1–21, 2019, and will consist of three weekly challenges. Entrants must participate in each challenge to be eligible for that challenge’s prize.
The challenges include:
- February 1–7, 2019: Epic Outdoor Photo
- February 8–14, 2019: Amazing Wildlife Discovery Photo
- February 15–21, 2019: Wildlife Adventure Photo
3. What is the deadline for submission?
February 21, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. ET.
4. How will winners be selected?
Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA) will randomly select one winner per week (three total) and contact them via direct message on Twitter, Instagram, or email on February 8, February 15, and February 22, 2019, respectively. Winners will have three business days to respond and accept their prize (a GoPro camera and an Apple smartwatch with GPS tracking) via direct message or email. If they do not accept the prize within the three-day period, GSUSA will select a new winner, who will have three days to accept. This process will continue until a final winner is confirmed.
5. How many winners will be selected?
GSUSA will select a winner (three total) for each challenge.
6. What will winners receive?
Each of the three winners will receive a GoPro camera and an Apple smartwatch with GPS tracking. See the sweepstakes’ official rules [link] for more details about the prize.
7. Do I have to enter on all social media platforms?
No; your entry is valid if you enter on one platform and properly follow the challenge’s directions. However, if you want to show off your amazing wildlife adventures and discoveries across all your social platforms, you can enter on all three: Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. It’s up to you! Keep in mind that we will only judge your first submission for each challenge.
8. Will entering on all three platforms (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter) increase my chances of winning?
No. Entering on more than one platform will not increase your chances of winning.
9. Why is the Elliott Wildlife Values Project sponsoring the prizes for the #GSoutdoorsSweepstakes photo challenge?
The Elliott Wildlife Values Project (EWVP) teamed up with Girl Scouts to inspire more girls to explore the great outdoors and appreciate wildlife in unique, exciting ways.
The mission of the EWVP/Girl Scout partnership is to develop girls as leaders in wildlife conservation and environmental stewardship efforts who positively influence their communities by carrying out the Girl Scout mission: to be girls of courage, confidence, and character who make the world a better place. Through the EWVP, girls develop science, outdoor, and leadership skills through cooperative girl-led activities in which they learn by doing. In the process, they:
Grow a strong sense of self, develop positive values, and gain an understanding of their important role in caring for wildlife and Earth's natural resources
Connect with nature, the outdoors, and their local and global communities; network with environmental experts; and investigate career opportunities
Take action to identify community and environmental needs, positively impact the environment, and educate and inspire others to act as protectors of Earth and its wildlife
10. Where can I view the entries girls have submitted?
The full gallery of entries can be viewed at www.girlscouts.org/gsoutdoors.
11. What are GSUSA’s official Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook accounts?
12. What are the weekly challenges?
- February 1–7: Epic Outdoor Phot
- February 8–14: Amazing Wildlife Discovery Phot
- February 15–21: Wildlife Adventure Photo
13. What do I need to do to participate?
For Instagram and Twitter:
Follow @GirlScouts on Instagram or Twitter.
Upload a photo on Instagram or Twitter using the #GSoutdoorsSweepstakes hashtag, tag @GirlScouts, and describe your outdoor adventure.
Follow @GirlscoutsUSA on Facebook.
Upload a photo to the sweepstakes site [link] and describe your outdoor adventure.
14. Who can participate?
The sweepstakes is open only to legal residents of one of the 50 U.S. states, the District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico who reside in one of the 50 U.S. states, the District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico at the time of entry. Entrants must be 13 years old or older as of the date they enter. Adults can participate as well!
15. Can Girl Scouts who live overseas participate?
16. Is using both the #GSoutdoorsSweepstakes hashtag and tagging Girl Scouts required?
If you’re entering on Twitter or Instagram, you must use the #GSoutdoorsSweepstakes hashtag as well as tag Girl Scouts (@GirlScouts) when submitting your photo. Only entries containing this hashtag and the correct tag will be considered for the prize.
If you’re entering on Facebook, you do not need to use the hashtag and account tag, but you must upload your photo to the sweepstakes site [link].
17. How can entrants increase their chances of winning?
Entrants may submit one entry for each of the three challenges. So get creative and start thinking about all your amazing wildlife adventures!
18. Will I receive a confirmation once I submit my entry?
If you submit your entry via the sweepstakes site, you’ll receive an automatic reply confirming your entry. If you’re entering through Twitter or Instagram, you won’t receive a formal confirmation email. To make sure your entry is visible, check to see if your account is set to public. If it’s not, set it to public and resubmit your entry.
GSUSA checks and approves entries periodically. If you experience issues entering or submitting your photo on the sweepstakes site, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
19. Why don’t I see my entry listed on the Girl Scout website?
Stay tuned! GSUSA approves entries periodically. Please allow at least 48 hours for your entry to appear on our website. Don’t see it after that timeframe? Email email@example.com.
20. Can an entrant win more than once?
No, once an entrant wins a weekly challenge (congrats!), she’s no longer eligible for future prizes during this sweepstakes. However, we encourage winners to keep the fun going and continue to use #gsoutdoors when sharing their outdoor adventures.
21. How will my information/photo be used?
See the official sweepstakes rules for details in the section “Grant of License in Materials Submitted.”